“Ever since my grandfather started our business in 1924, giving back to the community has been part of our family’s philosophy. Today, that vision finds expression in the thousands of volunteer hours our employees contribute to the common good. It is also revealed in our company’s charitable giving, which supports both the employees and community groups that aspire to make our neighborhoods better places.
“Our family’s philanthropic vision is straightforward: we believe we should support the communities where our employees and customers live and work. Period. It is not an extension of our advertising budget but simply meant to assist where there is need. We are good corporate citizens because it’s the right thing to do for our company, for our employees, and for our communities. I believe it as firmly today as my grandfather believed it in 1924.” – Mindy Holman, Chairman of the Board, Holman Enterprises
Holman donates a percentage of its operating profits every year to over 400 different charitable organizations in North America and Western Europe. Since 2010, that total has exceeded $1M annually; in 2017, it was approximately $2M. Although the missions of these non-profits represent a broad range of charitable concerns, the unifying factor is that they all work to improve the communities in which we are in business and in which we live. Stated another way, we support local charities that address local concerns.
Holman employees not only donate thousands of hours of volunteer time to local organizations working for the common good, but they help determine the shape of the company’s philanthropy. They sit on committees that decide where charitable dollars go, and they can ask the company to make donations to organizations that impact their own lives, and more widely the lives of their neighbors and communities.
Classes of Giving
Holman giving is divided into three categories: grants, sponsorships, and donations. Each type of gift is designed for different amounts of funding and for different purposes.
- Community Grants: Designed for gifts of $10,000 or more, or multi-year gifts of $15,000 or more, Community Grants provide Holman with opportunities to build meaningful partnerships in our communities. Grants are awarded twice a year and involve a thorough application process; additionally, an online final report is required at the end of the grant period.
- Community Sponsorships: These gifts of up to $10,000 are awarded more frequently than grants to be more responsive to specific programs or events. Applications are reviewed monthly and accepted at any time.
- Employee Donations: These gifts of up to $1,000 are given at the request of employees to support organizations and events that hold special meaning for them. Holman fully supports its employees, and encourages and honors their charitable instincts. Applications are reviewed monthly and accepted at any time.
Important to Note
- All applications for funding must be submitted online. Applications may be found on the web pages of each category of funding.
- Very occasionally, certain combinations of operating systems and web browsers will create problems when attempting to submit an application. If you are having trouble with this process, first please check the section on the grant, sponsorship, and donation webpages entitled “Ensuring Your Application is Successfully Submitted”. If you have followed these steps and are still encountering difficulties, please email email@example.com.
- Review Process: All charitable giving decisions are made by groups of Holman employees. Funding for Community Grants are determined by a committee of employees and owners; decisions are communicated to applicants within two weeks of the application deadlines. Community Sponsorships and Employee Donations are reviewed monthly by the Community Committee, a twelve-employee body chosen to represent all Holman companies. Applicants are informed of funding decisions for sponsorships and donations within a week of the monthly meeting of the Community Committee.